Looking at past

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

A dilemma

Normally, people say that it’s hard to get a job but my recent experience taught me that it’s even harder to leave a job. I am not talking about the problem of indecision or confusion to leave or not but I am talking about being released from your employers. Now, as I have got another offer, I am trying to get off from my current firm. Boss's ego is hurt and as always he is too busy to talk to me. What I want to talk to him is that I am leaving. Though its not a new thing, he was already trying to avoid me before. Initially, I was little unsettled but then I tried to make some inroads. Alas, I thought I got it during my review last time but after those 2 hours, it was again the same thing. It may be common when juniors try to avoid their seniors because they tramp you, rag you, it may also be common that a boss tries to not to see someone when he/she is pissed off on him. But in my case, it was not both of these cases. Boss was not pissed off but he was little unsettled by my academic background. I tried hard to belittle it but again, when you are arguing on a point and you show any authority, it is easy to assume that you are showing off. Damn, you have 10 years experience and it makes you an authority in your field then why can't a specialization from the best reputed institutes regarded be the same. I don't have experience but what I have learnt in my education is a gain. If somebody spends 5 years working in a particular sector and other spends 5 years in studying the same sector, who will be regarded more knowledgeable? Both have put their best efforts to get to know about this sector. One has live experience and other is having better perspective and more information. You learn either by doing it yourself or by studying how others do it or did it. Both of these have their advantages and disadvantages. By the current scene, it has become impossible to do everything on your own and also you are just human. This limits learning by your own experience. People, who are working, also learn from other person's experience and rationally it will be always more you learn from others than on your own. In academics, you are not just reading about others experiences but you are learning from one of best peoples who have worked in the industry and now they are teaching in these institutes. They are sharing their experiences with the students.
Again, I am going in the Catcher in The Rye's way, loosing my main topic, on which I started. I sent a mail to my boss that I need to talk to him 2 days back. I was asking that he suggest an appropriate time when I can call him, as he is outside the country we can't talk face to face. I was waiting that at least he will give time for the next day or so. Today, I talked with my HR; she had no idea about the process and asked me again to get approval from my boss, first. Evening time, I noticed that just in backside cubical there was a meeting going on with my boss. He was getting updates from one of the manager. I can't understand why he is ignoring me. I don't have any clue on what he will gain from delaying my release. I am aware of the bitter experience of some of my friends who were simply chided while leaving the job. For one guy, it was so painful that he was about to break down. His boss, though was not the culprit, in the picture was his boss's boss (I will call him super boss). Super boss, known for his temperament, was shouting on his juniors on why this firm has highest attrition rate in the industry. Though the cause was in front of everybody's eyes, nobody dared to point it out to him. My friend's boss was not willing to be rebuked again by super boss, so he cleaned his hands and told my friend to contact super boss directly. Result was same, super boss shouted like Tamil movie heroes shout in movie climaxes. Asshole is more appropriate for this kind of super boss. In the last moment, my friend had decided that they give him releasing letter or not, he will not come to office. He did the same, he paid his due and left with a letter from HR that he has submitted his papers. New firm was more lenient and nobody asked him about his release letter.
Another friend was lucky enough in changing his jackass boss in the same firm before leaving the firm. He got away easily, only with one month delay and paying for three months salary. Another was even luckier as he got a replacement on his post. The point is not that all the bosses in this firm are screwed. There are some good ones also but are rare and they themselves move out on first opportunity. When, I talked to some of my friends working in other firms, it’s same there too. Bosses behave in the same way and good are rare. So, why do we have this huge number of people in responsible position with lack of common sense and no rational?
It's the bureaucracy, set in by our old rulers to exploit us and now set in our genes, killing us everyday, day be day, moving towards complete destruction. That’s a little too heavy sentence for my day :). But can't help it, our society is built on metaphors and it fits the current condition perfectly. We, as a society are still not able to get out of the rags our colonist put on us to make fun of us. We are still showing those rags with pride as of we were naked before and this is the only piece which defines our current civilization from barbarous, inhuman past. Honestly, we can't take criticism, we are afraid of truth which can show our inaptness. We hide them; push them under the mate, till these remove the land we are standing on. Let’s face it; we are living in the age of denial and delusion.
What the hell, for the ages we are living in the age of denial and delusion. It was not just colonists who were crude enough to exploit our stagnation; we had our own pure blooded people who set this wheel of destruction in motion. Our society was not always like this dumb, we had the most inquisitive brains of their times, our society used no to hesitate in questioning anything and following the reason.

No comments: