Looking at past

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Rang de basanti

After a long time, I finally decided that I should have a break and watch movie. My opinion about most of the Hindi movies is as it should be 'pathetic'. Though, there are always exceptions. 'Dil chahta hain' is one of my favorite movies. After that there were many just missed, half part good, so so, where is the story, another copy. After getting out of campus, watching English movies has also come to a stand still. Free campus LAN, dedicated efforts of many people and their heights of concentration & patience in downloading movies were the main inspiration for me to spending my highly prized 10 hours a day in watching movies. As praise to all their effort, I also dedicated my valuable time in building a movie repository for me which I share with my friends very generously :). Now, alas all that is gone sigh. So, I had decided that there is no point in wasting my time in any theater and also paying for that.

I had read all the great reviews about RDB, some classified as a one of the greatest, well meaning movie, some said bollywood is changing, the hype goes on. Adding to that there was also some extra peer pressure, as one of the guy had seen this movie and described it as movie worth watching. Other friends were also interested in watching RDB, and they wanted my company, more importantly, my credit card for buying the tickets online. I tried to wash my hands by handing over my credit card but my fortune had something else in mind :(. We were not able to get tickets for continuous 3 weekends!!! That’s when I realized, I need to have a check on this.

Finally, yesterday, I was able to book tickets and landed in the theater. I will not here give any detail about my JIT (Just in time) habits, in short, I was able to reach movie hall just 10 minutes late. Movie hall was full and for some surprise there were some babes coming with their father or uncles...!! First sign of my good luck was that being 10 minutes late; I was spared of watching all those jewellery ads with fat models dancing. Movie had already been started and story was just about to start. For all, who don't know about Hindi movies, bollywood's highly talented directors always keep a separation between movie and its story. Sometime they forget one of them, so, you can easily distinguish the ingenuity of director from crap.

As the RDB's story goes, story started very early, though it gave me some indigestion as one of the English actress was speaking perfect Hindi without any hint of different accent. And topping that with also swearing in Hindi!! Though the scriptwriter has kept the censor board happy with slight change of words and the very famous obscenity (Maa ki ..) which frequently appears in all the hindi college goers, came as very polite saying. Movie story then started moving fast with introduction of all the characters in the setting of a posh college, guys driving racing bikes and SUVs and eating in his own family 'Dhaba'. That was still ok, as, we are accustomed to this image of middle class in hindi movies. Still, RDB have some more realistic settings like which I was able to relate as a former :( college goers. There was one huge OAT, which they called classroom (though it appeared as Surajkund), friends competing for beer drinking (that’s a very healthy tradition in all non-banned alcohol states), having a campfire party, then racing on bikes (though not as good as shown in the movie), sardar's canteen joint with broken TV (FTV is another commonality) and general college lingo. I think most of the collegiate can relate to these things.

RDB's story had its own twists and turns, character getting serious sometimes, having a brawl, crying then hugging but all these ended with flirting and dancing. People love happy endings, so the saying goes. Movie was going smoothly till the first half and all the merrymaking of characters was well directed. Second half was a googly. All the main characters became fighters for the people's right, crying aloud on nation's plight and pitfall of democracy. Nation's plight also there in first part but was ignored or very subdued. After death of one heroic character, everyone was marching to 'India gate' and sitting on candlelight vigil. So, from here, story started getting loose. Indians are known for there delusions and are famous for smooth transitioning from reality to dreams and vice versa. Main characters turned killers and then they hijacked one radio center. Movie ended with some hard hitting (though much realistic than all the crap of other hindi movies) dialogues and death of all male main characters, girls were left to cry. Sad end, that’s very uncommon in hindi movies after all.

At the end, I can pin point somethings which were indigestable in the movie, a British lady speaking perfect hindi (kudos to the actress who spend many hours in perfecting her hindi accent), 40+ Amir khan as a young college student (though at one point, he justifies his looks by saying that he has already passed the college 5 years back). Some scenes and dialogues were also loose strings like "Soniya to abhi bacchi" says the uncle Amir, though perfect in real life but the character speaking was a fellow college goers. Amir was crying like all is lost, scene was taken superbly but director forgot to tell Amir to speak less, when you cry so hopelessly, that many words don't come out of your mouth. The laughing break, in the last hijacking scene was also an oddity. Heroism in the last few scenes was looking like someone trying to finish a good work in a hurry. On the plus point, though movie was not perfect at many ends, was able to convey the message successfully. All credits to movie team for putting there sincere efforts, it showed in the movie. Editing was pretty neat and music was also great. So, I finally have to agree with my other friends that this movie is worth your money and time.

No comments: